What is Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier®?
For roof and deck waterproofing, use Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier®. It is a great base coat for our other coatings and creates an impermeable bond. Super Elasto-Barrier® is elastomeric and expands up to 1000% to move with the surface and resist cracking and peeling. This product is UV sensitive and must be top coated if used in a place where it is exposed to sun. Goes where the water flows and stops leaks. Flows into cracks and crevices.
Where to Use:
• EPDM Rubber
• Concrete Roof Repair
• Roof Decks
Other Areas Including:
• Living Areas
• Rusty Surfaces
• Roof Valleys
• Mobile Homes
• RV Roofs
• Plywood Sub-Roofs
• Grain Bins
*Ames® Super Elasto- Barrier® is UV sensitive and must be top coated if exposed to sunlight.
Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier® is ready to use – no mixing required. It can be applied with a paint brush, a push broom, a low nap roller with a long handle or a Commercial Airless Sprayer. In addition, you will need Ames® Peel & Stick™ Seam Tape and scissors or a utility knife. For larger commercial jobs, we recommend using a commercial grade airless sprayer. Graco, Bulldog or Titan brands work well. Call for specifications, 888-345-0809.
Read all label instructions before beginning. Always run a test patch first in an inconspicuous area, to ensure that proper adhesion and drying occurs and the product works to your satisfaction. Be sure surfaces are clean and dry before the coating application. All major cracks, joints and seams should be caulked with Blue Max® trowel-grade liquid rubber. Do not use a silicone caulk. Large cracks may be filled with a sandable filler. Follow seam taping instructions. Mask all sensitive areas before starting.
Metal Roofing, Mobile Homes, RV’s, R panel, corrugated:
1) Remove loose dirt, flaking rust, and debris from the roof surface: refasten any screws or nails that may have worked loose.
2) Apply seam tape over all seams and brush a liberal coat of Super Elasto-Barrier® over J-strips and screws. Prime with one to two coats of Super Elasto-Barrier®.
3) Finish with one to two coats of Ames’ Maximum-Stretch® until the surface is smooth and sealed, or as needed to complete the application
Roof Repair and Restoration of Existing Roofs, Built-up Pitched Tar Roofs, Gravel Roofs, Torchdown, EPDM, Plywood, OSB, Concrete:
(1) Remove loose dirt and gravel, moss, and debris from the roof surface and power wash.
(2) Prime with two to three coats of Super Elasto-Barrier® until roof surface is smooth and sealed. (For EPDM roofs use Ames Super Primer first. For Plywood or OSB roofs or water ponding situations use Ames roofing fabric. IMPORTANT: Drain all standing water and prime roof completely smooth and watertight before applying roofing fabric.
(3) Finish with one to two coats of Maximum-Stretch® or a similar Ames® product as needed to complete application. The minimum application of Maximum-Stretch® is 2 gal/100 sq. ft. Finish application would have a minimum of 5 gal/100 sq. ft. total including Super Elasto-Barrier® 3 gal/100 sq. ft. and Maximum Stretch 2 gal/100 sq. ft.
Standard product coverage on a smooth surface is one to two gallons per 100 square feet. More than one coat is recommended. More coats equal longer life.
Weather & Drying Guidelines:
Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier® is best applied between 40° to 90° F (10° to 32° C) on warm dry surfaces. Apply when the streets are dry, the sun is in the sky and no inclement weather is forecast. Starts to dry in 1-2 hours, depending on thickness of application and weather; Allow to cure for a minimum of 24 hours between coats. Low temperatures, high humidity and evening and morning dew will require increased drying/curing time.
Can be used in Conjunction with:
Peel & Stick® Seam Tape, Super Primer™ (for EPDM rubber roofs). Roof Fabric (for plywood and OSB roofs). Top coat with Maximum-Stretch®, Snow Seal®, or Iron Coat® roof coating. Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier® is UV sensitive and must be topcoated if exposed to sunlight
Durability and Longevity:
Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier® is a base coat and must be top coated. When top coated it will last for many years to come.
Clean-up, Storage, and Disposal:
Clean tools and small spills with water. Store unused product in its original container, tightly sealed and protected from freezing. Dispose of this product in accordance with local, state, or federal requirements.