What is Ames’® Super Elasto-Barrier™?
Even after tornadoes my roof deck does not leak Review by Sterling W
Overall Product Rating
Once upon a time, I had a leak on my upper deck that covers my lower patio area. So desperate to stop the leak, I was hoodwinked into buying products like Flex Seal and other tarred materials. Those products did not stop my leak. It wasn't until I used your products the Super Elasto-Barrier followed by the Maximum-Strectch, I was able to stop the leak. I waited several months after the initial use to provide this feedback because I wanted to be sure your product worked. Well, here in the Dallas Metro Area we have had several tornado like rains and my deck does not leak. I will not hesitate to recommend your product particularly the Maximum Stretch to anyone. Keep up the good work, take care,
Product: Super Elasto-Barrier, Maximum-Stretch (Posted on 11/17/2014)
Write Your Own Review
Where to Use:
Roofs, including tar, metal, rolled, gravel, EPDM rubber, concrete roof repair, plywood, roof decks, balconies, porches, living areas, excellent adhesion to rusty surfaces, wood, roof valleys, gutters, mobile homes, RV roofs, plywood sub-roofs, decks and grain bins. Ames® Super Elasto- Barrier™ is UV sensitive and must be topcoated if exposed to sunlight.
Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier™ is ready to use - no mixing required. It can be applied with a paint brush, a push broom, a low nap roller with a long handle or a Commercial Airless Sprayer. In addition, you will need Ames® Peel & Stick Seam Tape™ and scissors or a utility knife. For larger commercial jobs, we recommend using a commercial grade airless sprayer. Graco, Bulldog or Titan brands work well. Call for specifications, 888-345-0809.
Read all label instructions before beginning. Always run a test patch first in an inconspicuous area, to ensure that proper adhesion and drying occurs and the product works to your satisfaction. Be sure surfaces are clean and dry before the coating application. All major cracks, joints and seams should be caulked with Blue Max trowel-grade liquid rubber. Do not use a silicone caulk. Large cracks may be filled with a sandable filler. Follow seam taping instructions. Mask all sensitive areas before starting.
Metal Roofing, Mobile Homes, RV’s, R panel, corrugated:
1) Remove loose dirt, flaking rust, and debris from the roof surface: refasten any screws or nails that may have worked loose.
2) Apply seam tape over all seams and brush a liberal coat of Super Elasto-Barrier over J-strips and screws. Prime with one to two coats of Super Elasto-Barrier.
3) Finish with one to two coats of Ames’ Maximum Stretch until the surface is smooth and sealed, or as needed to complete the application
Roof Repair and Restoration of Existing Roofs, Built-up Pitched Tar Roofs, Gravel Roofs, Torchdown, EPDM, Plywood, OSB, Concrete:
(1) Remove loose dirt and gravel, moss, and debris from the roof surface and power wash.
(2) Prime with two to three coats of Super Elasto-Barrier until roof surface is smooth and sealed. (For EPDM roofs use Ames’ Super Primer first. For Plywood or OSB roofs or water ponding situations use Ames roofing fabric. IMPORTANT: Drain all standing water and prime roof completely smooth and
watertight before applying roofing fabric.
(3) Finish with one to two coats of Maximum-Stretch or a similar Ames product as needed to complete application. The minimum application of Maximum Stretch is 2 gal/100 sq. ft. Finish application would have a minimum of 5 gal/100 sq. ft. total including Super Elasto Barrier 3 gal/100 sq. ft. and Maximum Stretch 2 gal/100 sq. ft.
Clean-up, Storage, and Disposal:
Clean tools and small spills with water. Store unused product in its original container, tightly sealed and protected from freezing. Dispose of this product in accordance with local, state, or federal requirements.
Estimated Coverage: Standard product coverage on a smooth surface is one to two gallons per 100 square feet. More than one coat is recommended. More coats equal longer life.
Weather & Drying Guidelines: Ames® Maximum-Stretch™ is best applied between 40° to 90° F (10° to 32° C) on warm dry surfaces. Apply when the streets are dry, the sun is in the sky and no inclement weather is forecast. Starts to dry in 1-2 hours, depending on thickness of application and weather; cures in 24 hours. Low temperatures, high humidity and evening and morning dew will require increased drying/curing time.
Can be used in Conjunction with: Peel & Stick Seam Tape, Super Primer (for EPDM rubber roofs). Roof Fabric (for plywood and OSB roofs). Top coat with Maximum-Stretch, Snow Seal, or Iron Coat roof coating. Ames® Super Elasto-Barrier™ is UV sensitive and must be topcoated if exposed to sunlight
Durability and Longevity: Ames products have been known to last over 20 years on a metal roof that has been cleaned and then seam taped and coated with 3 gallons per 100 square feet. Roof life will depend upon how clean you keep the roof. It is beneficial to coat the roof every 5 to 10 years with a thin maintenance coat. Unlike most other coatings out there, it is highly unlikely that Ames’® Maximum- Stretch™ will ever peel. Peeling is rare and only occurs from a substance that was delaminating from the surface before application.